Under the slogan “Let’s go”, Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger yesterday presented the first steps to get tourism going again. “We are currently working on opening steps from May. For a successful comeback, however, the industry needs new ideas and tailor-made solutions for the future. That is why we are starting the process of “Let’s go – for the comeback of domestic tourism” says Köstinger.
Thousands of companies and employees lack the basis of business and livelihood. However, based on vaccinations and warmer weather conditions, opening steps are currently being worked out from May. In addition, tourism needs more to make a successful comeback: New ideas, tailor-made framework conditions, perspectives and accurate measures.
That is why Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger is starting a comprehensive comeback process. Under the motto ‘Let’s go – for the comeback of domestic tourism’, the entire industry is invited to work with experts to develop measures that are essential for restarting as well as for a long-term and crisis-proof tourism strategy.
The process ‘Let’s go – to the comeback of domestic tourism’ consists of three steps:
Virtual kick-off event
- Together with Harald Mahrer, the President of Austrian Economic Chamber, Governor Wilfried Haslauer as representative of the federal states and international experts, Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger invites to a virtual kick-off event on April 29, 2021.
- The initial situation, challenges and priorities are discussed with practitioners from the hotel, catering, event and leisure industries.
Discussions with audience participation
In the following, four areas with particular need for action are discussed:
- Tourist labor market: Employee shortages, recruiting employees from other sectors, apprentices and young talent promotion, etc.
- Financing: equity, investments, repayment of bridging loans or deferrals, etc.
- Guests of the future: city tourism, digitization, security and sustainability. Where do future guests come from and what do they expect?
- Tourism in the regions: Linkage agriculture and tourism, improving the “tourism disposition” among the population, etc.
Result presentation – comeback plan
- The aim of this participation process is a joint comeback plan with priorities and milestones from summer 2021 to the first quarter of 2022.
- The plan will be presented in a virtual event at the end of June.